Thursday, January 19, 2012

"Try Jesus, Satan will always take you back!"

         A recent discussion with a friend, who is not as positive about being a Christian as I am, had me thinking. We were talking about my recent discovery in what really serving the Lord added to life, and she said very honestly that, one of the reason's she isn't ready to submit, is that she doesn't want to give up her current lifestyle!  As I really started to meditate on this, not only do I understand her reaction, but I started to wonder, "What do we give up in life, as Christians?" 
         I think there are a lot of people who have the same reaction as my friend. In fact, more than once I have heard someone say something like that! "If I want to drink a beer or two, why should I feel guilty!" "I don't want to have to say sorry every time I swear!" Etc... Etc... And though I do think that as Christians we do give up some things, or should, as the Holy Spirit prompts us, but what we gain is so much more!
       What is going out and getting drunk doing FOR us? What is swearing, and speaking negatively doing FOR you? Or having promiscuous sex, or sex without marriage. Don't all of these things in our lives ultimately make us feel bad about ourselves? I have been there. Living in sin, not wanting to change where I was at. 
         At 21, I met Husband, in a bar, and yes, I was VERY drunk! Husband and I fell in love quickly, and I remember thinking if I loved the person I was sleeping with, God wouldn't mind if we weren't married. After six months of knowing each other, we were pregnant with Sweet Face, and living together. After Sweet Face was born Husband kept insisting we get married, but I resisted. "Why fix what isn't broken?" But eventually I gave in! (The truth is he wouldn't give me another baby, unless we were married, so we got married... Yet another wrong way to go into a marriage) The day of my wedding, I remember standing in front of the door to walk down the aisle. My heart pounding, and palms sweaty, I was waiting for someone to tell me to run. I knew we shouldn't get married, our relationship was not in a good place, and I thought if someone else would say it, maybe it was more than cold feet. But no one even whispered any doubt to me, and I eventually made it down the aisle, all the while thinking, "I can always get divorced!" 
          In our marriage and our lives Husband and I have lost ourselves to anger, we swear, we fought, we got drunk, we lusted after others, I didn't respect him as a husband, I loathed my life, and the whole time, I felt like there was something missing , that I would spend eternity looking for! And none of the sin, I was creating or taking part of, was filling that void, it just seemed to make it bigger!
          I look back on that life, and it feels like someone else's. Since being saved, I have given things up. I don't swear, (at least hardly ever). I try to be positive in my speaking and my attitude. I kick the negative feelings out, declaring my new thoughts! I don't drink, because for me, I have a hard time doing that, and keeping my Christian face on. I try to respect my husband, and treat him as a Godly wife should. I apologize when the Holy Spirit tells me to, whether or not I want to. I've even tried to stop over eating, and taking care of my bodily temple.  I stay up late to read my bible and spend time with God. I may have given up some instant gratifications, but I truly believe the rewards, though may be slower, are worth the sacrifice. And once again, as we talk about sacrifice, I have to point out, that God sacrificed His ONLY son. Could any of you parents, imagine doing that? Knowing that He is to be killed, and tortured, and having to watch it, and do it anyways. Jesus sacrificed His life. And though he was raised from the dead, He still had to endure the pain, and rejection. How many of us avoid even being friends with someone, or starting a new relationship in order to prevent rejection or pain? And as we meditate on what was sacrificed for us, doesn't it make sense to at the very least sacrifice things, that weren't even good for you to begin with, in order to be closer to our Creator, and Savior?
          And let me just say that since, letting go of these worldly desires, my life has been filled with so much more. I no longer crave something to fill me. I live in harmony with myself and Husband. (For the most part) I am joyous most of my days, and feel the Lord's love all day everyday. I see things clearer, and enjoy my blessings more. I have even discovered what I am supposed to do with my life, and now have future goals! I am no longer searching for something, because I have found what I was looking for. And the very best part? I know where I am spending eternity! I can't imagine hell is good... I mean take all of your pain and suffering that you have endured through out your life, multiply it about ten million, and you still aren't even close to what hell feels like.... Forever! It makes me excited that I don't ever have to see that! 
           I read this bumper sticker once, and immediately thought it was great: "Try Jesus, Satan will always take you back!" A little sacrifice in this life, doesn't seem so bad, when compared to eternity!
          

No comments:

Post a Comment