Friday, April 6, 2012

Good Friday

         I have always understood the importance of Good Friday, but until I was "born again" I don't think I have ever FELT the importance. I have known the story, read the story, even watched the story, (The Passion...) and still never really felt it.
         This morning I woke up before the kids, and decided it was a great time to read the bible. I usually read it at bedtime, but something, let's credit the Holy Spirit, urged me to read it first thing this morning. I opened the Bible to Mark Ch 27. The day of Good Friday. As I read through Judas' guilt and grief, and Pilates sentence, (Proof that you shouldn't be a people pleaser! I mean, how would have liked to be the guy that sentenced the Messiah to death?) And the torment Jesus had to face, I was overwhelmed with compassion and gratitude.
       Think about what Jesus knew was coming! He could see his betrayal, his death and his torment ahead of time. He faced mockers, and was spit on, and beaten. Stripped of his clothes and humiliated. He faced it all with courage, strength, and grace. And he continued to do the things our Father, His father, had asked Him to do, knowing the outcome. It's discerning to think about how many don't know His love, or understand it, how many people out there don't even understand the price that was paid.
         The only perfect person we will ever see, dies, was convicted, humiliated and tortured, for the sins that had been committed, for the sins that were being committed, and the sins that were going to be committed. What has any of us ever done to deserve any of that? I know that when I think about it, I am consumed with warmth and feelings of love. It is horrible that Jesus had to suffer so much, but I suppose had it been quick and easy, we wouldn't have gotten the point. We wouldn't have understood just what was sacrificed, but today should be a day of rejoicing and gratefulness. Because our Christ, Jesus, was so selfless and pure, and obeying and faithful, we get to see the glory of eternity. We have someone to strive to be like, the perfect example, we have God's grace, and His strength, and forgiveness and we never have to face anything alone, or on our own accord. Praise Jesus for His sacrifice, and remember what this holiday is truly about. I feel so blessed and grateful today, and thinking about what today means, makes me want to worker harder to be more like Christ, it makes me want to recommit myself to spreading His Word, and doing His work.
Watch enjoy this video, of Hillsong United's song "At the Cross"
                                                Have a great Good Friday, and Praise God.

No comments:

Post a Comment